THE HOUSES IN OPERATION: DUNSTER HOUSE

In many ways Dunster House possesses many more native advantages than any of the others. It is one of the three completely new units. Together with Lowell it enjoyed the privilege of opening one year before the other five; and the first year it had the distinction of being a decided favorite. Among seven Houses one absolute favorite will never exist but when Lowell and Dunster first opened the latter had by far the larger list of applicants. Indeed, Mr. Greenough had the College at his Beck and call. That first year advantage was, fortunately, largely wiped out when the other Houses came into existence and the prestige gained then has really hindered rather than aided Dunster in the race for members.

Architecturally Dunster is not the chef-d'oeuvre of the Messrs, Coolidge, Shepley, Bullfinch, and Abbott. Its triangular shape and the necessary mass of chimneys would prevent that in any case. But it is at least a symmetrical and coherent whole and ranks second to Lowell as a good example of the Georgian style. Its location on the river adds to the beauty but makes for long walks to the Square. The tenements in the back, housing countless Saturday Evening Post vendors, obviously do not constitute an asset.

Dunster House has more than any other, refrained from building up a "House spirit". The atmosphere which prevails is one of extreme informality. There are no expository pamphlets on the House, no formal notice blanks, the House is not run on a highly organized basis. There is no appeal to do this or that thing for the House. Notices asking for football, basketball, or swimming team candidates gained few names. Sufficient interest for these activities lacking, they were left alone; there was no appeal to House loyalty. Squash teams there were; and informal football and basketball teams were organized for single games with Dunster's "old and traditional rival", Lowell. There is no great emphasis on House activities. The dance last night, for instance, was run in the most casual manner; nobody was urged to come. Observers will probably say that all this is just a manifestation of traditional "Harvard indifference". Whatever it is, the phenomenon exists.

Because of this Dunster has rightly been criticized by many as not performing the true functions of a House, as furnishing merely pleasant dormitory life. It has been the policy of the Master to allow all things to develop of themselves, to have undergraduates take the initiative in all House activities. This practice, admirable on the whole, has undoubtedly been carried too far, and Dunster has missed many opportunities for excellent House social functions. What members of the House have done they have done well. An economic society has been formed and a discussion group, whose purpose it is to ascertain the value of the various branches of learning, is now meeting bi-weekly. In this the tutors have taken a keen interest and some of the associates have been present to defend their fields of interest. But on the whole the associates with one or two exceptions have not responded as freely as in the other Houses.

Dunster, like the other Houses, has also made its derive to establish traditions early. There are the tracery stones from Magdelene College, the football from the first Dunster-Lowell game, now slowly deflating but still under glass in the dining room, balancing the squash trophy. Because there are only two main entrances to the House both of these remain open all night. There are eight squash courts in the basement, aired by an expensive ventilating system. The two common rooms, with no distinction except size between them, are furnished in conservative, masculine taste. The library is one of unusual distinction because of the White gift and the Literature, Social Science, and Fine Arts shelves are especially well stocked. The food in the dining room is supplied from Dunster's own kitchen. A sort of substitute for the Lowell high table but without any distinctions or formalities, has been tacitly introduced and men have the assurance that Wednesday dinner will bring them a good meal.

Dunster has been the least jingoistic of the Houses largely because neither the members nor the Master have urged particular House allegiance. It has still much of the character of the old Harvard in it. But it's "just one big, happy family". One time last year the Master made this point to President Lowell at luncheon in the dining hall. The President agreed; then glanced at the portraits, obviously included in the family. He didn't recognize the man in the corner and turned for information to the Master, the guardian of the family, as it were. But even the Master didn't know the man, it had slipped his mind. He hastened to assure the President, however, that all were still included in the one big, happy family.