Teaching of Aliens Proves Popular Activity Among Men In Harvard Social Service

boys' clubs in Boston and vicinity.

The variety of opportunity has given the men a wide range of activities from which to choose. The perspective volunteer may select his job from a varied list of settlement house activities. He may serve as the advisor to a boys' debating club, an instructor in some kind of craft work such as wrought iron making, carpentry, or he may become a basketball coach, librarian, boxing or wrestling instructor, a teacher of English, arithmetic, or a leader of adults who are studying for their naturalization papers. If none of these more specialized fields appeal to him he may organize a group of eight or ten boys into a club and then advise them in what ever activities they choose to busy themselves in.

Work Attracts Law Men

A considerable number of foreign students have seized upon this wok as an opportunity to acquire an intimate knowledge of some of the lesser known aspects of American urban life. Law school students are enthusiastic workers in that they have an opportunity to observe some of the practical social problems which they expect to encounter after they have begun to practice their profession.

Naturalization work has proven to be the most popular single field of work for the volunteer workers this year, Forty-five Harvard men have been engaged in teaching aliens at the North Bennett Street Industrial School this year. Classes are held there every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights. Many men who intend to enter the field of teaching find that this naturalization work gives them practical experience in their future profession that enables them to make a better estimate of their abilities.

Debating has proved to be another popular field. Debate coaches and judges for the Inter-Settlement League have been provided for several houses.

Have Use of Car

During the past season many of the settlement houses have availed themselves the use of the Phillips Brooks beach wagon, which is loaned to them free of charge. This is used to transport groups of boys from the settlement houses to and from basketball games and to and from the camps that several of the houses maintain in the country. Harvard student volunteers often take their boys' club for a ride in the country or on a trip to some point of interest.