OUT OF THE FOGG

Recently the Fogg Museum revived its practice of loaning framed reproductions of pictures to undergraduates who desired them for personal use. The opportunity offered was not announced or advertised, however, and the students knew nothing of it. Hence the Museum has lent only two pictures this year, and now seizes on this apparent "lack of interest" as an excuse for discontinuing the service.

The reason given for such a premature withdrawal of this offer is inadequate. If more students had known of the privilege, they would it is to be hoped, have taken advantage of it. The practice might gradually take its place as a tradition in the Houses more mature than other traditions of recent concoction. Naturally the museum should not become a clearing-house for wall decorations, but it would offer a means for the enjoyment of art. It might also cooperate with House exhibitions.

Lending the pictures would be beneficial to the Museum as well as to the students. The illusion that the Fogg Museum should be the isolated habitat of the Fine Arts Department should be destroyed by bringing that institution more into contact with the University at large. As those responsible sincerely desire to spread knowledge and appreciation of art, they should push this plan to the utmost. By shortsightedly dropping the project, Fogg Museum may justly be charged with doing Harvard a disservice which can be rectified only by the renewal of the offer to loan the pictures.