PLAN GRADUATE YEAR OF BUSINESS RESEARCH

ADOPT PRINCIPLE OF VOLUNTARY ECONOMIC PLANNING

Plans for the new third year of study and research at the Business School, advocated by Dean Donham in his annual report to President Lowell, have been set forth in a pamphlet just published, entitled "Looking Ahead in Business Education." The project has received official approval and will be put into effect as soon as funds are available.

Research Program

In the words of a resolution passed by the Faculty of the School, the program for the third year will consist of "research and instruction looking to the coordination of available knowledge, not only with a view to the development of a broad philosophical attack on the relation of business to our social organism, but also to its utilization in the improvement of business practices, policies, and planning." The development of this third year, according to officials of the school, is the logical culmination of the work which the Business School has been carrying on since its foundation. "The current depression is the best possible proof of the need for such a program."

"Training for Leadership"

The third year will be fundamentally an extension of the graduate work being done at the present time, leading to the degree of doctor of Commercial Science, Assistant Dean J. C. Baker stated yesterday. "It will be devoted to training for leadership," the pamphlet declares, although this does not mean that "the present two-year course trains for routine, or that the new emphasis on the social aspects of business contrasts with an older individualistic theory."

The point of view adopted by the School in undertaking this training in broader social problems of business, the pamphlet states, is "a deliberate determination to take in hand the elements that control our future. It involves voluntary self-control by business in preference to enforced social control become of course topics to be most seriously studied."

Will Require $50,000

At least $50,000 a year will be required for the project and it is estimated that $100,000 will be necessary in order to carry it out properly. These funds are expected to come in large measure from leaders of business and from foundations. Much of the present research and other work at the School is financed by the "250 Associates," a group of business men and others interested in the School, who contribute $1,000 apiece every year. Because of the difficulty of obtaining a sufficient amount of money at this time, it is deemed unlikely that the third year work will begin officially next year