PROMOTIONS ARE BESTOWED ON TEN FACULTY MEMBERS

Ballantine, Friedrich, Mason, Wetmore Made Associate Professors--Leave Granted to Frankfurter

Ten members of the Harvard Faculty have just received promotions and four more will be on leave of absence during the academic year 1932-33, it was announced at University Hall yesterday.

Sheldon Glueck, assistant professor of Criminology in the Law School since 1929, will become professor of Criminology next September. His degrees are A.B. from George Washington University, LL.B. and LL.M., from the National University Law School in 1920, A.M. from Harvard in 1922, and Ph.D. in 1924. He became an instructor in the Department of Social Ethics in the College in 1924. His most recent book is "Five Hundred Criminal Careers."

Sam Bass Warner '12, LL.B. '15, S.J. D. '23, came to Harvard in 1929 from the University of Syracuse where he was professor of Law. At Harvard be became an assistant professor of Penal Legislation and Administration in the Law School. In September he will become professor of Law.

Four assistant professors have been elected to positions as Associate Professors, their elections to take effect next September. Edward Ballantine '07, assistant professor of Music since 1926, will become an associate professor. He served as instructor in Music from 1914 to 1918, and from 1919 to 1926. He is the composer of a number of works for orchestra, voice, and piano.

Carl Joachim Friedrich will become associate professor of Government. He is a graduate of the Gymnasium Philippinum in 1919, and received his Ph.D. from the University of Heidelburg in 1925. In 1926 he became a lecturer on Government at Harvard, and an assistant professor and tutor in 1927.

Edward Sagendorph Mason, assistant professor of Economics, will become an associate professor in September. He received an A.B. from the University of Kansas in 1919, an A.M. from Harvard in 1920, a B.Litt. from Oxford in 1923, and a Ph.D. from Harvard in 1925. He served as instructor in Economics from 1925 until 1927, and as assistant professor after 1927.

Professors Friedrich and Mason are abroad on leave of absence during the current academic year, engaged in studies for the Bureau of International Research.

Ralph Hartley Wetmore, assistant professor of Botany since 1926, will become associate professor next September. He received his S.B. from Acadia University, Nova Scotia, in 1921, his A.M. from Harvard in 1922, and his Ph.D. here in 1924.

Four instructors have been appointed to assistant professorships, the appointments to take effect in September. Henry Edward Bent becomes assistant professor of Chemistry. He received his A.B. at Oberlin College in 1922, S.M. Northwestern University, 1924, Ph.D. University of California, 1926. He has been instructor in Chemistry at Harvard for six years.

Harry Rowe Mimno, Instructor in Physics since 1929, becomes assistant professor. He received his E.E. from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1921, his A.M. from Harvard in 1926.

Morgan Upton, instructor in General Physiology since 1929, will become an assistant professor. He received his S.B. from the University of Washington in 1921, an A.M. from Harvard in 1927, and a Ph.D. in 1928.

Robert Hugo Woodworth, instructor in Botany since 1927, and Curator of the Botanic Garden, will become an assistant professor. He received his S.B. from the Massachusetts Agricultural College in 1924, his A.M. from Harvard in 1926, and his Ph.D. in 1928.

Four leaves of absence have been granted to take effect during the next academic year. Felix Frankfurter, Byrne Professor of Administrative Law, will be on leave of absence during the second half of next year. Professor Sayre MacNeil, of the Law School, will be on leave during the first half of the year, while Francis T. Spaulding, associate professor of Education, has been granted leave for the second half of 1932-33