PARAMOUNT FIRM WILL PHOTOGRAPH H.D.C. PRODUCTION

Construction of Fire Station on Site Probably Postponed--Shuberts May Produce H.D.C. Play in New York

Owing to certain unusual features in the staging of the Harvard Dramatic Club's coming production, "Napoleon Intrudes", the Paramount Sound News Company has contracted to take pictures of the dress rehearsal on Saturday afternoon. The photographers will take about 1000 feet of film, which will be shown first in Cambridge and Boston and then throughout the theatres of the country.

The sound photographers are chiefly interested in the experimental use of three separate stages as alcoves at the rear of the main forestage. Different scenes will take place simultaneously in these separate partitions, a most uncommon procedure in the American theatre. The stage structure, located in the Rogers Building, formerly the workshop of the Cambridge School of the Drama, is not a revolving one, such as is used in "Grand Hotel", but instead the amphitheatre can be made to turn around on castors and rails fitted to the bottom of the stands. It is hoped that there will be no necessity to roll the wooden stands around while the play is in progress. The tiers of seats will be made to face the two bays which are to be used the most often during the four performances.

Provided that the showing of Walter Hasenclever's romance, the American premier of which will be held in the Rogers Building on May 3, 4, 5, and 6, is a financial success, the Club will regard their new quarters as their own workshop, in which to hold forth until the new fire-station is erected. They have been told by certain city officials that lack of appropriations for the station may give them perhaps two or more years in their experimental theatre. It is unlikely that the Fire Department will build early next fall as originally planned.

The S. S. Shubert Company is showing great interest in the Club's present pro- duction, and it is possible that it may produce the play in New York professionally. The firm has done much help the Dramatic Club present the piece, having gotten it the German edition for translation by Martin Henry, instructor in German. The Club has a policy of presenting only those plays which have never been shown in the country, and many have been later produced on Broadway.

The first performance will be open to alumni who are members of the class. This showing will be sponsored by A. Whitney '17, associate Professor History and Literature; W. H. Cary, Jr. '21, assistant dean of Harvard College and R. E. Rogers '09, professor of English at M.I.T., and author of one of the Club's early productions