FANNING THE EMBERS

The assassination of Premier Inukai of Japan, at a time when the Far Eastern danger seemed temporarily at least to have been side-tracked, has undoubtedly complicated the peace-problem of the world in general and of the United States in particular. In a sense it in difficult to feel much sympathy for the Premier, in spite of the courage he displayed. The Fascist spirit which led to his death was for him a Frankenstein monster, nourished only to have it escape from its control and turn against him. Put into office in order to press Japan's aggressions at the expense of China, he was killed by representatives of the national feeling that he had not gone far enough, and had weakened in the face of hostile world opinion in withdrawing Japan's troops from Shanghai.

Whether the Fascist group mentioned above will succeed, as it seems likely to do, in establishing a military government, under the semblance of a "national" council, cannot be determined now. If it does, the tense feelings which predominate in the diplomatic relations of this country and Japan will in all likelihood be increased. Another threat to our economic and political interests in the Pacific will be more difficult to meet by peaceful means than was the last.

Under the circumstances, it is a misfortune to find the Boston "Traveller" in discussing the situation editorially, making self-complacent remarks about the willingness of peace-loving nations, (by which the United States is of course meant,) to "fight to the last ditch" against warring nations which disturb our interests and our efforts for peace. Such willful brags, however well they may be meant, seldom serve the professed purpose for which they are made. Historically, they are a reflection of the "big stick" epigram of Theodore Roosevelt, the most popular, and probably the most unfortunate of his phrases. In the present circumstances, the smug assumption of moral superiority, even if valid, can only alienate further a people who already feel cause for resentment toward the American attitude. The United States would go closer toward a real understanding with Japan by a frank examination of conscience in regard to its own actions, especially the stupid and unnecessary Exclusion Act, than by any trite and untenable pretense to superior virtue. And its daily newspapers ought to throw the weight of their influence toward that end, instead of fanning embers, with whatever good intentions.