CREWS HAVE EASY ROWS, VARSITY DOING 11 MILES

MARTIN STROKES COMBINATION EIGHT AGAIN

Red Top, Conn., June 14--All four crews took life moderately easy this morning, the Varsity and Junior Varsity, after the former's encouraging time trial yesterday, doing about five miles, while the Freshman and combination crews covered a slightly shorter distance. R. H. Martin '34 stroked the Combination eight.

This afternoon the Varsity and Junior Varsity went out separately, each going down stream about three miles and back, while Coach Whiteside tried to correct the flaws apparent in yesterday's trial. The Combination made a time trial over the two mile course for which no time was made public, while the Freshman again took it easy. Keyes is out of the 1935 boat for the remainder of the season with a sore back. Dow is taking his place at number four.

On Monday afternoon the Varsity eight showed excellent form and power in the second time trial of the season, sweeping over the four mile course in 19 minutes, 45 seconds. Conditions for the trial were excellent over three-quarters of the course, yet not so good as last Saturday, when the first trial was held. Nevertheless, this second workout was fully a minute better, despite a bumpy final mile. The stroke remained at 30 right until the final spurt, when the oarsmen went up to 36 and looked smooth indeed in doing so. More than anything else, the impressive factor was the smoother oarsmanship and better run as compared not only with the showings in the sprints but with the final workouts last week.

Previous to Saturday's trial Hallowell and Yeomans had not gone the full four miles, so that the trials have been purely experimental.