AUSTRIAN MINISTER OF FINANCE IS PROFESSOR

Schumpeter Will Teach Economics at Harvard Next Year--Porter and Woods Granted Leave of Absence

Josef Alois Schumpeter, post-war Finance Minister of Austria, and now professor at the University of Bonn in Germany, will come to Harvard next September as professor of Economics and tutor in the division of History, Government, and Economics.

Professor Schumpeter was a visiting lecturer at Harvard during the academic year 1927-28 and in the first half of 1930-31. He has been, successively, professor at the University of Graz in Austria, at the University of Vienna, and at the University of Bonn. He has lectured at the London School of Economics, London University.

His works include "The Essentials and the Main Propositions of Economic Theory," published in 1908, and "The Theory of Economic Development," published in 1912.

Simultaneously with the announcement of Professor Schumpeter's election, two leaves of absence for the next academic year were announced at University Hall: Arthur Kingsley Porter, William Dorr Boardman professor of Fine Arts, will be absent the first half-year; James Haughton Woods, professor of Philosophy, for the second half-year.