END OF FOOTBALL 150'S FOR 1932-3 DECREED BY H.A.A.

150-Pound Crew Is Only Other Similar Team in College--Long-Contemplated Move Follows Yale Action

In accordance with a proposal which has been under consideration for some time, the 150-pound football team has been abolished, the H.A.A. announced yesterday. No action was taken in regard to crew, the only other sport having a lightweight team.

The chief reason for making this change, according to officials of the H.A.A., was the difficulty of securing suitable opponents. Yale was the only other college with a 150-pound team which the lightweights met last year, and under the plan recently announced at New Haven, Yale will abolish this team in 1933. Three other colleges in the country, Pennsylvania, Columbia, and Villanova, none of which were on the Harvard schedule because of their location outside of New England, have corresponding teams. The decision of the H.A.A. will go into effect at once, so that there will be no team next year.

Give Way to House Teams

Men who have played with the 150's this year are expected to join the House teams next fall. Class teams were done away with last year, and the present action will serve similarly to augment the number of men reporting for House football.

Probably contemplated ever since the institution of the House plan, the abolition of the 150's in football was definitely advocated in the Student Council report on House athletics a year ago. It was felt that the existence of a variety of teams holding over from the previous system might interfere with the development of House athletics, and that since House teams are based on a more homogeneous social unit, they should be given all advantages.