UNIVERSITY BANS CONSTRUCTION OF NEW PARKING LOT

Nichols Says University Parking Lot, Unless Free, Would Be Forced by Tax To Approach Regular Rates

Prospects that anyone but students in the Business School would be extended the privilege of parking their cars on vacant property anywhere in the University were shattered yesterday by Arthur L. Endicott '94, Comptroller of the University. Pressed for a definition of University policy in the matter, Endicott issued the following statement to the CRIMSON last night through the University News Office:

"The Comptroller's Office has considered carefully the question of providing a parking space for overnight parking of automobiles owned by students in the University.

"The study has shown that the provision of such an overnight parking space is not cohsistent with the best interests of the student body as a whole, tenants of University property, or neighboring property-owners in the City of Cambridge. The present arrangements for daytime parking by student car-owners will be continued."

In interpreting Mr. Endicott's statement that a parking lot would be "against the best interests of the student body as a whole," William I. Nichols '26, Secretary to the University for Information, said that if the University constructed a free parking lot, it would be taxing the entire student body for the benefit of a few students who own automobiles; that if the University charged admission to the parking lot, it would be subject to regular tax regulations, and would be forced under such circumstances to charge approximately as much as do the regular commercial garages in Cambridge.

The privilege of parking for 24 hours a day in the field behind the Baker Memorial Library which has been granted to students in the Business School will not be curtailed.