NEW FIELDS

Originally dedicated to the thorough investigation of a single subject each year, the Harvard Inquiry now proposes to cast off its fetters and offer a series of lectures touching such dominant questions of economic, social, and political interest as may arise. A small committee appointed to study American governmental conditions will carry on the concentration ideal which, since its adoption by the youthful Inquiry in 1932, has been a successful--if somewhat narrow--policy.

Although in part a concession to the dilettante, this widening of scope will now make possible a more spontaneous lecture program. No longer restricted to one topic, the Inquiry will be free to sponsor timely discussions on whatever subject may be foremost at the moment. Dogmatic purpose, as well as the tub thumping and inane resolutions of an excessively liberal minority, are steadily to be avoided. If the Inquiry, having found concentration too difficult, does indeed prove able to maintain the promised attitude of rational impartiality toward world affairs, its unbiased forum will serve a definite need in the University.