Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

GOOD MATERIAL IN VARSITY SQUAD BUT LACKS TEAMWORK

New Plays of Great Importance--Squad Rough in Carrying Out Assignment Work, Needs Experience

By R. W. Paul

With its opening game against Bates scheduled for this Saturday, the Varsity football squad is still in a process of change and experimentation. Three facts have come to light in the scrimmages so far: first, Coach Eddie Casey has at his disposal a much larger group of prospective first-string men this year than in 1932; secondly, the entire squad is noticeably rough in assignment work, and, thirdly, this year more than any other the success of the season will depend on the set of plays developed by Casey and his assistants.

Casey's experiments have shown that there is good material on hand: to the veteran backfield group of Captain John Dean, Charley Nevin, and Arthur Barrett have been added Francis Lane, Allan Sherman, and Fred Moseley; Deeb Peter has been developed as a capable understudy to Danny Wells; and Shaun Kelly and Walter White have the makings of first-rate ends. Kelly, in particular, shows great promise. He is almost certain to be a starting end against Yale.

Concerning White there is more doubt. Tommy Nazro is still on Coach Eddie Bradford's list of first-string ends, but the general concensus of opinion is that White will be at the other end of the line from Kelly when the whistle blows to open the Yale game.

In the backfield Francis Lane looms up as the outstanding back from the Class of 1936. He has been playing halfback most of the time, but has filled Dean's position at fullback during the latter's disability lately. At the present time it looks as if he would outstrip his classmate Fred Moseley, who hasn't shone quite as brilliantly recently as he did in the first week of practice. These two Sophomores may provide the answer to the problem that faced Casey at the beginning of the season.

When the season opened Casey had three heavy, steady players in Dean, Nevin, and Barrett and he had light, fast players like Locke and Pescosolido, but he had no one in between these two groups to take Crickard's place. Lane weighs 171 pounds, ten more than Locke. Moseley weighs 163 pounds, nearly ten pounds more than "Pesky." Then, too, there are Allan Sherman and Dick Waters from the Class of 1934 and Cedric Janien and John Adzigian from last year's Freshmen.

In the line, aside from Kelly and White as ends, Leon Francisco and Dave Kopans seem to have staked out their claims to the tackle positions, while Francis Schumann, George Gulian, and Herman Gundlach are in a tight race to fit into the two guard positions. John Healey is another excellent prospect, though, due partly to injuries, he hasn't seen as much action lately as the other three. Schumann and Gulian appear to have the inside track at the present time. Gundlach, however, has the advantage of experience, while Gulian is on the injured list.

At center the leading candidates seem to be Francis Crane and Brad Simmons. Crane is the more experienced of the two, while Simmons is the same powerful, ranging type of center as Ben Ticknor and Roger Hallowell, Harvard's most successful centers of recent years.

Probably none of these men will be stars of the current national football season, but if Casey can make them work together as a team and can develop a set of plays that will make the most of their combined services, then Harvard ought to have a very fair season. The first test will come this Saturday