HEAVY HOLY CROSS ELEVEN OUTPLAYS SLUGGISH CRIMSON

Pass Defence Still Weak As Purple Completes 8 of 16 Trys--Casey and Choate Play Well

By O. F. Ingram

Outrushed, outpassed and outtackled a disappointing Harvard eleven went down to an inglorious defeat at the hands of the Purple Crusaders from Worcester in the Stadium on Saturday.

Holy Cross chalked up thirteen first downs to the Crimson's six, and in rushing, Harvard gained only 48 yards in comparison with the 148 of the Purple ball carriers. In the forward passing department, the same story is true for Harvard completed but four of the 18 aerials attempted, while the visitors managed to connect on eight of their 16. Five of the Crimson's uncompleted passes fell into the waiting arms of Holy Cross secondaries.

To be sure, the Crimson had ample opportunity to tally several times, but the final drive for the score was deplorably lacking. Harvard got all of the breaks, but couldn't capitalize on them. Not once in the four attempts to score from the one-yard line did Crimson carriers cross the goal line.

In spite of all that can be said in favor of Holy Cross in regard to the superior ground gaining ability and pass attack, the visitors did not deserve to win. But Harvard certainly deserved to lose.

This week Coach Casey has plenty of work to do, if he wants to whip the team into shape for the Dartmouth tilt. All phases of the eleven's play must be smoothed out if the Crimson forces want to redeem themselves. The pass defense news considerable polishing, the line play must improve, and the best defense of all, a good offense, must hit its stride. Dartmouth emerged victorious from the Penn match and is rejoicing over Harvard's showing. It will be in town next Saturday aching for a taste of the Crimson's blood after two years of deprivation. The Indians won on a pass on Saturday, and if Harvard isn't able to knock down aerials better than it did against Holy Cross, the Hanover team will win through the air next Saturday. The line needs more charge on the offense and more solidity on the defense. Too many tackles were left for the secondaries on Saturday.

The work of several players in Saturday's game calls for some comment. Choate was the man of the hour and should be given a chance on Team A this week. Time and again he broke through interference and snagged the runner. Casey turned in one of the sweetest performances seen since Ben Ticknor guarded the pivot poet and was in on nearly every play. Hid diagnosis of the Holy Cross deception was uncanny.

The summary:

The Cross: Reiss, l.e.; Harvey, l.t.; Flauagan, l.g.; Merandos, c., Moran, r.g.; Liugua, r.t.; Kelly, r.e.; Callan, r. O'Connor, q.b.; Hobin, Jauiak, l.h.b.; Britt, r.h.b.; Morris, J. O'Connor, f.b.

Harvard: Nazro, Crocker, r.e.; Kopans, Burfon, r.f.; Gundlach, Casale, r.g.; Casey, c.; Crane, Gulian, l.g.; Francisco, Rogres, l.f.; White, Choate, l.e.; Wells, Haley, q.b.; Lane, r.h.b,; Fescosolido, Locks, Adsigian, l.h.b.; Dean, Waters, f.b.

Score: Holy Cross 10. Harvard - Touchdowns-Lecke, Britt. Points after touchdowns-Wells, Harvey, Field Goal

--Harvey. Referee, W. T. Hallahan, Providence. Umpire, T. J. Thorpe, Columbia. Linesman, G. N. Bankart, Dartmouth. Field judge, S. Scott, Michigan. Time--Four 15-minute periods