PROUTY PROMOTED TO VARSITY SQUAD, REPLACING WELLS

Most of Yesterday's Session Spent on Charging and Blocking -- Nevin Out of Dartmouth Tilt

By R. W. Paul

Promotion of Gardner Prouty to the Varsity's quarterback squad and the announcement that Charley Nevin will not be in Saturday's game were the two important disclosures made at the end of yesterday's practice. Nevin received a slight injury during a demonstration of plays yesterday and has been placed on the injured list.

"Ben" Prouty's rise in the ranks revived the question of whether or not Coach Eddie Casey was greatly dissatisfied with Danny Wells' performance at quarter on Saturday. Prouty, who started the season on the Varsity "B" squad but was not retained in the final cut, deserved promotion on his own merits, but it is argued that Casey thought his quarterback squad needed strengthening.

In the face of this, the fact remains that Casey left Wells in command until the last two minutes of the Holy Cross game. Furthermore, Wells remains the best forward pass man on the squad. Certainly he showed lack of field judgment on several occasions, but criticism of his general policy is open to question. He was hampered by the fact that his linemen, magnificent on the defense, were not giving him enough drive on the offensive. Hence the number of passes.

Casey spent yesterday afternoon drilling his line on this weakness--offensive line play. Most of the session was spent on charging and blocking. The rest of the practice was used for a demonstration of Dartmouth plays and a short scrimmage for such men as Kelly, Schumann, and Prouty, who have not seen much action this year. Kelly will probably get into the game on Saturday.

The present Varsity lineup, which will probably start against Dartmouth, is: Choate, l.e.; Francisco, l.t.; Crane, l.g.; Casey, c.; Gundlach, r.g.; Kopans, r.t.; Nazro, r.e.; Wells, q.b.; Adzigian, l.h.b.; Lane, r.h.b.; Dean, f.b.