O Tintinnabulum!

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

I should like to voice my protest against the hundred-odd strokes tolled off by the chapel bell at seven o'clock each morning. I know all other Freshmen residing in nearby dormitories will join in asking that this be stopped.

It seems to me, that if in the opinion of the authorities of this college, it is necessary to disturb the unfortunate men who happen to have rooms near the chapel (for upperclassmen in the Houses, and Freshmen in far parts of the Yard are surely not bothered by it) the hour chosen for such a disturbance is most injudicious.

If one has to be about some form of work, such as waiting on table, in the morning, the bell rings everlastingly too late to arouse; however, if one desires to snooze until the time sane people should get up, it is irritatingly too early.

Long, long ago, when I entered this College, I used to sit for hours on end gazing from my window on the beauty of our chapel. I made an inward declaration that each morning I should go to chapel and list to the wise, kind words of many great men.

For the first three mornings I went, coming out each time inspired and glad within. But now I pull down the shades when I come into my room. At every one who mentions the word "chapel," I make a fierce noise, somewhat resembling the growl of a baited bear. I am no longer myself. My soul, I fear, is lost.

Pax tecum, O Bell!!! Alfred C. Butterfield '37.