FROM RALLY TO RIOT

That last night's "rally" did not develop into something a good deal worse may be credited to a chilly wind and the fact that most undergraduates were either indifferent or otherwise engaged. It may be that lack of practice during these late inhospitable years has dulled the technique both of those who would promote flamboyant college spirit and of those whose business it is to keep such spirit within bounds. In any case let it be said that the organizers of the rally, the dean's office, and the Cambridge police all unconsciously did their best to foster a first-class riot.

After keeping its hands off for three days, the dean's office intervened late yesterday afternoon to warn the organizers of dire consequences if the rally got out of hand. Alarmed at this, the latter made a futile, thought sincere, last-minute attempt to call the whole thing off. In the end the team and the band, the two elements which might have lent respectability to the gathering, were kept away, and the crowd was left without a program of any sort. Finally, after the rally had nearly exhausted itself in a good deal of running about the streets, a squad of Cambridge policemen did their best to provoke trouble anew by interfering with the proud captors of the Jayvee goal posts.

If a rally there had to be, it should have been planned out beforehand with a definite program and with the team, coaches, and band in attendance. The dean's office only made matters worse by breaking up what program there was. But if there was any real excess enthusiasm, as the CRIMSON pointed out Thursday, the proper place for it was at the final practice session of the team and at the game this afternoon.