TANKSTERS GROOM FOR POSSIBLE TECH CONTEST

PROBATION, GRADUATION LOSSES PROVE COSTLY

Stirred to speedy action by the possibility of a meet with M.I.T. on Friday, Coach Harold Ulen and his Varsity proteges have set to work putting together a team that will perform creditably in the opening brushes. No definite arrangements for the Tech meet have been made but it is highly probable that the natators will open against the local outfit rather than wait for Bowdoin a week later.

Losses by graduation and prodigals from the probation ranks alternately discourage and cheer Coach Ulen in his task of building up a worthy team this year. Although only two outstanding regulars went out of the picture by the graduation route, both of the men, B. S. Wood '33 and R. D. Fallon '33 were mainstays of the squad last year and the coach will have plenty of trouble in finding others to fill up the vacancy.

Captain Edward E. Stowell '34 former Eastern Intercollegiate backstroke champion and third place winner in the Nationals last year, heads the returning veterans and is expected to take care of that department adequately this winter. Charles N. Breed, Jr. '36, a member of the Freshman team of last year, and Robin W. McCoy '35, will support Stowell in this event and, together, they are expected to give Harvard first and second in most of the meets.

Another disappointment that Coach Ulen has had to face this fall is the loss of Charles L. Jack '35, by reason of language probation. In the absence of Jack, Fisher Howe. III, '35 seems to have the call in the distance class, although Gordan L. Jorgensen '34, a member of the Freshman team three years ago has returned to competition and has been showing up well in the practices.

Roy S. Wallace, Jr. '35, is the leading man in the sprint division and if he maintains his pace of last year should have no trouble in holding down his position this season. In the century free-style, however, the situation is much more complicated and four men are in the field. John L. Ward '34, Abbot W. Sherwood, Jr. '35, Stanley M. Wyman '35, George Wightman '34 and Herbert M. Howe '34 are fighting for the top honors in the 100-yard free-style class. Howe is also in the running for the sprint event.

In the 220-yard free-style swim, Sherwood and Edward C. Deveareaux, Jr. '34 are the leading contestants but the added experience of Devereaux gives him the edge over the former Freshman captain. Coach Ulen has a wealth of good material to work with in the breaststroke in the persons of Martin L. Levintritt '35, who was ineligible last year, Anderson C. Dearing, Jr. '34 and three sophomores, Harold E. Jahn '36, John B. Little '36, and Walter S. White '36.

A promising sophomore due, Henry K. Fitts '36 and Bernard F. Merriam, II, '36, is pushing Howard S. Bowen '35 to the limit for the position of first diver, Merriam won the Yale meet last year and seems like the most promising candidate for the dive. A list of stalwart free-stylers, including Edward P. Parker '34, Sherwood, Wightman and Wyman are expected to deliver in the relay, an event in which Harvard has always been strong