Business School Students Are Too Fast, "Says Miss Bruning, Star of "One Sunday Afternoon"

"What am I going to do? All my audience is out celebrating repeal," said Francesca Bruning in an interview with the CRIMSON last night. Miss Bruning is now appearing at the Shubert Theatre in "One Sunday Afternoon." When the wide awake reporter suggested, "We might go out and celebrate too," Miss Bruning asked: "Will you get my manager pie-eyed for me?" The actress said she had already been out with several Law School men, and had found them "very cute with their big vocabularies and little brief cases. But Business School students are too fast for me--yes, much too fast."

Francesca said she is "really a very good little girl. In fact, I never, never drink, and I just detest speakeasies." Asked how she knew that she detested speakeasies when she never drank, Miss Bruning appeared flustered and finally said she "had been to a 'speak' with a thirsty friend once a long time ago." Quick to change the subject, she added, "I love to travel, especially in airplanes; and when I'm on the ground I like to dance and swim."

Questioned about her art, Miss Bruning became serious, and spoke with much enthusiasm, "The big hits on the New York stage such as 'Green Bay Tree,' 'Men in White,' and others show that the legitimate drama in this country is passing through a very vital period. If these successes continue, there will be a great revival of plays, and the general public will realize that true art can be better presented on the stage than on the screen.

"The movies are too artificial and mechanical. Of course, Hollywood has many great artists, but the greater part of the success of motion picture shows depends on the work of directors and producers rather than the actors and actresses. The trend of pictures today is toward artificiality, while plays are turning more and more in the direction of naturaliness. I do not mean that one trend is any more desirable than the other. For example, I think Mac West is a marvelous actress, and yet there is certainly nothing very natural or genuine in the acting of screenland's new it girl."