CRIMSON INVITES 1935 AND 1936 MEN TO COMPETITIONS

Candidates May Come in Contact With Prominent Public Men--NRA Results Seen Closehand

On Monday, December 11, the CRIMSON will begin a competition for its News, Editorial, Business, and Photographic Boards. Of these, the Business Board is of great current interest, at this time when the business world in general is in such a turmoil of uncertainty. Candidates for the Business Board will have an unusual opportunity to meet at first hand the effects of the Roosevelt Recovery Program upon industry.

Aside from this rather special opportunity, this competition offers numerous personal features. The work of the Business Department is an integral part of any newspaper since the paper's very life depends upon its proper functioning. Thus, the members of the Business Board acquire business responsibility and a knowledge of business which is not the opportunity of every student to have and which will be advantageous after graduation. The primary duties of a candidate incorporate the solicitation of advertising, the collection of accounts receivable, and the performance of several small routine jobs. These duties enable a candidate to come in contact with many interesting personalities, from a colorful nightclub owner to the manager of a large brokerage house, from a newspaper peddler to the manager of a large department store. In this field one has the chance to make a delightful study of character. Without doubt, the greatest single advantage of the competition is the development of a candidate's self-confidence. He learns the art of meeting personalities and mastering novel situations. The fact that the candidate works under a congenial group of men, all striving toward a common end, adds real zest to his duties.

This competition is open only to members of the class of 1936, and is the last opportunity for a member of that class to secure for himself a position on the Business Board of the CRIMSON. It is an opportunity which, once seized, will never be regretted. All Sophomores interested in entering this competition should come to the introductory meeting on Monday evening at 7.30 in the CRIMSON building, where they may learn more of the de- tails of the work.

Editorial Competition

The competition beginning Monday night will be the last open to the Class of 1935. As always, the principal requirement will be the composition of one editorial a night, but the work will be cut down to a minimum during the reading and examination periods, and any reasonable time adjustment will be made. The length of the competition will be approximately eight weeks.

Probably no period is so fruitful for the investigator of college policy than that attending the inauguration of a new president. The man who forms a connection with the editorial board at this time will have an unique opportunity to watch, and to comment upon, the impact of a new administration on the house plan and the tutorial system. Beyond this will be the continuous editorial field of national and international policy, which has assumed an especial prominence during the past few months. No one can be uninterested in these problems; those who combine an interest in them with a desire for self expression will find in the CRIMSON editorial page an instrument unusually satisfactory and flexible.

If you have any ideas on these subjects, if you have ideas on any other subjects, the CRIMSON furnishes the only regular medium for their expression at Harvard. Each promising candidate will receive careful individual attention, and suggestions in the technique of writing. The competition itself opens up a field of personal contacts within the university which the undergraduate must commonly leave unexplored; most men agree that it is a valuable and a stimulating experience. Members of the class of 1935 who have entered competitions in the past, as well as those who may be interested in the CRIMSON for the first time, are cordially invited to attend the preliminary meeting Monday night in the President's office