SQUASH SEASON TO OPEN TOMORROW AS FOUR TEAMS PLAY

Inefficiency on Part of Massachusetts Squash Association at Fault--H.A.A. Cannot Be Blamed for Omission

The Varsity and Freshman squash teams commence their season officially tomorrow when they meet four teams from clubs in and about Boston in the first matches of the Massachusetts Squash-Racquets Association. Team A meets the University Club in town, Team B, the Harvard Club, also on Boston courts, while the Freshman C and D teams play Lincoln's Inn and the Salem Squash Clubs in the Linden Street building. Because of some peculiar mis-management on the part of the Squash Association, no matches have been scheduled for the Varsity C team this winter. Although there is a good deal of confusion resulting from this omission, the H.A.A. had nothing to do with it, despite their past difficulties with the increasing demands on squash facilities.

Sargent and Glidden, the two sophomores on team A, played their matches on Thursday, both men defeating their University Club opponents with little difficulty, although there were some interesting moments. Sargent lost the first game to Eno, number one man on the club team, but soon warmed up and took the second game 15-4. He took the third game easily, but let up in the fourth, barely winning, 18-16. According to Harry Cowles, Sargent will be national tournament material when he has added experience to skill. Glidden also started poorly, losing the first game, and then, over-coming a slight nervousness, taking the last three easily.

As yet no matches with colleges or schools have been played, although the A team has usually travelled to Providence to meet the Hope Club by this time, and in view of the disappearance of the Varsity C team, Cowles is planning to increase considerably the number of matches with neighboring colleges this year, for players who fail to make Team B, as well as for the men at the top of the squad. The ineligibility of Robert Grant '34; the present state champion, and the "tennis elbow" of Sandy Davenport, also a senior, have caused the loss of two of the best players on Team A.