BINYON SELECTED TO FILL NORTON POETRY CHAIR

LECTURER NOW DEPUTY KEEPER IN BRITISH MUSEUM

Lawrence Binyon, noted British scholar and author, has been named holder of the Charles Eliot Norton Professorship of Poetry for the year 1933-34 to succeed T. S. Eliot '10, the present holder, it was announced last night.

Oriental Authority

Mr. Binyon, the seventh writer to hold the Professorship, is known as an author and playwright, and also as an authority on Oriental Art. At the present time he holds the position of Deputy Keeper in charge of Oriental prints and drawings at the British Museum, with which he has been connected since 1893. He was educated at St. Paul's School, and Trinity College, Oxford, where he received the Newdigate Prize in 1890. He has delivered lectures in America on three previous occasions, visiting Boston in 1912 as a Lowell Lecturer.

A number of volumes of plays, verses, and works dealing with Oriental art have been published by Mr. Binyon. Notable among these were the plays "The Young King," produced in 1924, and "Boadicea," produced in 1925.

The six previous holders of the Norton Professorship are Gilbert Murray, Regius Professor of Greek at Oxford University; Eric Maclagan, Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum in London; Heathcote Garrod, Professor of Poetry at Oxford University; Arthur M. Hind, Assistant Keeper of the Department of Prints and Drawings at the British Museum in London; Sigurthur Nordal, Professor of Icelandic Literature at the University of Iceland at Reykjavik.