"HE WHO RIDES THE TIGER"

Developments during the past few weeks in Europe have placed Herr Hitler in a precarious position. Having ridden to victory on a wave of nationalism, the new German chancellor may find that he is only a chip on that wave, powerless to change its progress. Bad as would be the effects of a war on Germany and the National Socialist party, the situation may force it.

Europe has unmistakably taken on the aspect of a powder barrel. Divided as it is, into two main camps, it would need only a reckless move to precipitate a general conflict. France, Poland, and the Little Entente of Rumania, Czechoslovakia, and Jugoslavia are ranged against Germany, Austria, and Hungary, with Italy and England relatively unknown factors. The recent Arms Shipment incident would seem to place Italy with Austria, and England with France. In such a case, the preponderance of France and her allies would be so marked as to make the result a foregone conclusion. Economically, the Central European powers are in a bad plight, while in military strength they are far inferior, largely as a result of the Versailles Treaty. These facts, however, are no guarantee at all that Hitler will not attempt to coalesce with Austria and Hungary. In both of these latter countries there is a growing Fascist party and a corresponding decline in the Socialist power, which has until now exercised a moderate and restraining influence coupled with a really international outlook. If the Nazis come to the top, as they seem likely to do, an obvious move would be to link up with other Fascist states. France, of course, would never tolerate any such act, as she conclusively showed in 1931. War would be a very natural result.

For those who believe that Hitler and his confreres would never dare make the suicidal gesture of defiance in the face of France, it would be well to consider two things. One is the strange obtuseness of the Teutonic mind, as it revealed itself in the last war, when by high-handed and stupid actions it swung American opinion over to the side of the Allies and finally brought us to intervention. Secondly, there is the fact that Hitler came to power through a burst of national hysteria and may have to retain power through hysterical procedures. He has used nationalism as a pretext; he may find that the flame will have to be fanned industriously if he is to remain its particular guardian.