VARSITY OARSMEN SHOW SMOOTHNESS AND POWER

PROSPECTS ARE ENCOURAGING FOR PRINCETON, M.I.T. RACE

Nosing through the dense fog that hung over the river yesterday afternoon, Cassedy's and Duruy's Varsity crews finished a 1 3-4 mile row in 5 minutes, 16 seconds. The crews did not sprint; Coach White side kept them at a beat of 28 for the whole course. Drury's crew did not lose the lead which it had held at the start, and paddled into the dock ahead of the first crew. Whiteside has made no changes in the seatings of any of his three boats since the vacation.

With present seatings probably as they will be for the Princeton M.I.T. race, the Crimson navy shows a smoothness and power which does not characterize the Tech crews now working out in the basin. Unless the technique of the Blue and Grey oarsmen shows a marked and immediate improvement, their chances for victory in the triangular contest will be negligible. The Princeton squad is still an unknown quantity in New England, but it is rumored that the Tiger is turning out a formidable four-mile crew, despite the fact that the longest water course at Princeton extends two miles.