ESSAY CONTEST

The National Planning Committee for unemployed graduates is sponsoring an essay contest with a trip to Europe as reward in an effort to discover some suitable unemployment relief plan for college alumni. Statistics show that only one out of eight of the 1933 ex-seniors will be able to find self supporting positions, while at the same time the means of many of those future unemployed are so depleted that they can not support themselves without jobs. They must either go on with their education, a course already made difficult for them by the University's failure, however unavoidable, to cooperate in the emergency by providing free post-graduate courses and college privileges, or they must go out to swell the ranks of the Nation's jobless. The essay contest suggests the possibility that under the stimulus of reward in a tangible from some practical solution to this problem will be found.

Although the plan of holding a contest for men's ideas is in itself a very commendable one, the solution of the alumni unemployment situation is a personal problem, peculiar in each individual case to the circumstances involved. The National Planning Committee could very well widen the scope of its competition beyond that of the graduate problem, to the implications of that question, the implications of that question, the world depression and all its ramifications. Students who are to be graduated within the next few years would undoubtedly take an interest in a world problem of this sort.