ACT OF ENCLOSURE

Whether from fraternal feelings or from motives of economy or security, the Senior Class Day Committee deserves high praise for their recent decision to permit undergraduates still occupying the Houses, with the exception of Adams and Dunster, to attend the dances and entertainment in these Houses during Commencement week. This policy is a departure from that of last year, the first year the Class Day exercises were not held in the Yard, when the Committee ruled to charge admission to all undergraduates who desired to enter the space set apart for the celebration.

Last year's plan proved most disastrous for the Senior class, inasmuch as the Comptroller of the University decided, after protest from an indignant group of undergraduates, that to keep students from occupying rooms they had paid for was illegal. As a result, the class of '32 was unexpectedly compelled to act as host for nearly a hundred uninvited guests. The present graduating class, therefore, may have remembered the disaster of their predecessors in caps and gowns, when they agreed to admit their younger fellows to the fold. This plan is noteworthy in that it disposes of an embarrassing situation to the satisfaction of both parties. Under the new plan, whereby only Seniors and their guests may have refreshments, the Committee is enabled to entertain the undergraduates without additional expense.

The only disappointment is that the Class Day Committee failed to complete its line of thought by extending its invitation to all seven of the Houses. Although there is no valid reason why the members of Dunster and Adams should be admitted, there is likewise some injustice in excluding them merely because they are not fortunate enough to reside in the Class Day enclosure. The omission is somewhat damaging to an otherwise well-advised arrangement.