HARVARD COLLEGE OPENS FOR 298TH TIME ON SEPT. 22

Incoming Class Expected to Number Slightly over 1000 -- Figures Show 60 per cent of Freshmen Graduate

For the 298th year Harvard College will open its portals to a new Freshman Class on Friday, September 22. Registration will begin in Memorial Hall at 9 and will be open until 5 o'clock. All upperclassmen have until 5 o'clock Monday afternoon, September 25 to enroll.

First year men at the Business School, must register in person in Morgan Hall on Thursday, September 21. All others have until Monday afternoon, September 25, to report.

No figures have been released by Henry Pennypacker, chairman of the Board of Admissions on the size of the incoming Freshman class, but it is expected to be as large as the Class of 1936. An announcement was made last spring that the present size of the Freshman class, so large that over 100 men could not find accommodations in Houses was a mistake. The Class of 1937 is expected to be slightly over 1000 so that next year five per cent of the rooms in the Houses which were vacant this year will be occupied.

Students seeking readmission through Summer School will be notified about the results of their final examinations as soon as possible, so that the Administrative Board may act upon their petition at the first meeting, Friday, September 8.

Last year the enrollment by classes was as follows: Class of 1933 (Seniors) -- 611, Class of 1934 (Juniors) -- 738, Class of 1935 (Sophomores) -- 852, Class of 1936 (Freshmen) -- 1117, Out-of Course Students -- 72. Total, 3,390. According to these figures it would seem that only 60 per cent of an incoming class graduate. Each year approximately 125 men drop out or transfer.