Tutorial Optional

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

I was interested by Mr. Harkness' statements in the CRIMSON in regard to our tutorial system. I agree with him in his opinion that the system should not be limited to honor students. There are too many others who profit by it. However, it is evident that the present situation here is satisfactory to neither tutors nor students. The main reason is that there are too many tutees who have been thrown into the plan against their own inclinations and who therefore rebel against the work. A man who comes to college should be old enough to know how much time and effort he wants to spend on scholastic pursuits. If he wants to "just get by" no one can force him to do otherwise. Furthermore, a man's best work is that which is done on his own initiative and not at the order of an instructor.

The ideal situation, then, would be to have the University offer every student at the beginning of his Sophomore year the privilege of having a tutor to assist him in his work. The advantages and disadvantages of the system would be carefully pointed out to him, so that he might make a sound decision. If he accepted the offer of his own free will, it would mean that he meant to do his best to make something out of it: otherwise he could decline.

Thus, the calibre of the tutees would be raised, not perhaps in ability but in what is more important to the success of the system, the desire of the student to profit by it. Allen M. Ferry '34.