PRACTICAL POLITICS

It is right that a college should be a haven for theoretical discussions on politics, for theory contains germs of truth. Nevertheless, even programs designed by professors need a Jim Farley to put them into execution. Certainly if professors and organizations such as the Liberal Club could obtain a picture of practical difficulties in their way, they might gain a clearer understanding of how to put their ideas into practice.

The Practical Politics Committee, which holds its first meeting tonight, is attempting to show the undergraduate this other side. It possesses an objective; that of helping to defeat former Mayor Curley. In accomplishing this aim, it offers volunteers not only the chance to see how a political campaign and politicians work, but also the chance to join in the fight through organizing rallies and doing field work. A volunteer may find that here as well as in a political club, he can waste time, but at least he will learn something about the inefficiency and graft which deliver mortal blows at utopian schemes.

This marks a desirable step as far as the undergraduate in politics is concerned. It takes Harvard further along the road that the Liberal Club started to travel a few weeks ago when it announced its plan to interview all candidates for office. The work of the Practical Politics Committee promises to make a valuable contribution in bringing men into closer contact with present political machines.