BECCALI TO SERVE AS ANCHOR MAN IN RELAY

LINGUISTIC DIFFERENCE CAUSE OF TROUBLE

In addition to twirling off a perhaps record-breaking 1500-meter run in the Italian meet this Friday, Luigi Beccali, the Olympic champion, is planning to serve as anchor man in the medley relay. This gives the speedy Italian an additional 800 meters to run, 50 minutes after his bid for the blue pennant in the 1500.

However, this shouldn't bother Beccali, who is in top-notch condition and feeling fine, according to a statement made by his coach, Dr. Enrico Aurreggio. Yesterday the Italian star did three laps in fast time, then rested a while before doing 200 members more, then another rest and another 200 meters. Beccali's teammate, Cerati, was in equally good shape.

In fact, the only thing wrong with the track meet just at present is a little matter of languages. Yesterday afternoon, the ex-football star, Carl Pescosolido, better known as Pesky, was serving as starter for the Mussolini-men in the good old Italian style. The sprinters would crouch down on the starting line. "Aposto!" quoth Pesky. The runners wiggle slightly. "Pronto!" he saith. They tense into position. Bang! (International language, you know.) They're off.

After admiring Pesky's linguistic gymnastics for a few moments, some bright reporter asked how the officials were going to start the runners in the meet without having to pause for translation. Now the H. A. A. is pretty clever and thinks of all sorts of things, but this had just never occurred to them