DEPRESSION STRUCK

Owing to financial difficulties suffered last year, the Harvard Athletic Association has inaugurated the policy of charging a five dollar fee for those men, who, not possessors of a Participation Ticket, desire to use Dillon Field House. This means, in effect that all men who go out for varsity football, track, soccer, lacrosse, baseball or any of the house activities purchase this ticket in addition to paying the locker and towel fee. At the same time, however, the H.A.A. continues to give Freshman full use of its facilities without charge.

It cannot be denied that the Freshmen are compelled by the University to participate in some form of athletics three times a week, while the upperclassmen's participation is purely a matter of personal, initiative and free choice. Yet it seems as if a more equitable means for distributing the expenses of the athletic facilities could be found: Those men who represent the University or the houses on the various athletic fields make a definite sacrifice. Whatever their motives, they do give up six afternoons a week, follow a rigorous training schedule, and refrain from social activities which they might otherwise enjoy. Much of their exertion is prompted by a general desire to do something worthwhile for their University.

Accordingly, they should not be forced to suffer the entire extra financial burden which the H.A.A. feels must be borne by the student body. Perhaps a small sum from each Freshman as well as upperclassman would result in a more fair distribution of this added cost.