SUPPLEMENTARY LECTURES

Instituting a policy that aims at supplementing work done in the regular courses of the department, the division of Government announced in its latest divisional pamphlet a series of lectures to be given from time to time on topics of vital interest not only to students of political science but also to students interested in would affairs and problems. A long-felt need for the unbiased and scholarly treatment of international political problems will thus be fulfilled and the formal education of students along these lines will be supplemented by informal talks unhampered by the limitations imposed by class room technique.

Men who are authorities in the field of their special interest will give talks on such topics as Japanese foreign policy, the new German state, fascism, and pressure groups in politics. The lectures will be given for students only and the general public will not be admitted. The treatment of the material, therefore, will not be of a popular sort but will be found useful and interesting to men who have already some background in the problems of international politics. Since these discussions will take place outside of the class room the lecturer will have an opportunity to present to his listeners in an informal way his views on the topic which he is most vitally interested in and without feeling any necessity of adhering to any formally laid out plan. No doubt opportunities for an open forum on the topic under discussion will be provided at the close of the lecture and students will thus be able to clarify their ideas under the guidance of men who are well-versed in international politics.

Not only students of government but men in other departments might find these discussions of value in formulating unprejudiced views on world affairs. The plan inaugurated by the government department is one which might well be instituted by other departments for the informal dissemination of information by capable authorities.