HARVARD FORUM MEETS, KEEPS ITS INDEPENDENCE

DIRECTOR OF DEBATING ISSUES NEUTRAL STATEMENT

An unofficial meeting of the Harvard Forum was held last night in Holden Chapel at which a controversy arose over the proposal of the Interhouse Debating Organization to affiliate itself with the Forum.

Those favoring the merger claimed that it would make the task of both bodies casier and would reach a greater number of students, while those opposed insisted that such a merger would destroy the integrity of the Forum, and due to its interhouse aspect would exclude graduate students and commuters.

Edward M. Rowe '27, Director of Debating at Harvard, was reached soon after and made the following statement: "The new project is a worthy one and promises well for the debating activity at Harvard. It is to be hoped that the promoters of the Forum will find it possible to cooperate with the men who are interested in debating in and among the houses.

"Working together they can provide an excellent medium for student expression on timely subjects. Graduate students as well as undergraduates may participate, and perhaps outside speakers may be the guests of the new organization. Properly directed, the proposed Forum can make a very definite place for itself in the University.