TEN DEMOCRATIC PROFESSORS GIVE SUPPORT TO BACON

Crimson Faculty Poll Also Supports Bacon by Vote of 18 to 1--New Deal Opposed 3 to 1

Desertion of Harvard from Democratic ranks continued yesterday when ten professors threw their influence behind the governorship campaign of Gaspar G. Bacon '08, against former Mayor Curley. although Mr. Bacon is as outspoken in his criticism of the new deal as Mr. Curley is in its defense, it is not known if these men have also withdrawn their support from the Roosevelt policies.

The professors who issued the statement, "I am a life-long democrat, but shall vote for Bacon," include: Edwin G. Boring, professor of Psychology; Zechariah Chafee, Jr., professor of Law; David L. Edsall, dean of the Medical School; William H. P. Hatch '98, Edward Swett Rousmaniere, professor of Literature and Interpretation of the New Testament; Samuel E. Morison '07, professor of History; Bliss Perry, Francis Lee Higginson Professor of English Literature, emeritus; Ralph Barton Perry, professor of Philosophy; Austin W. Scott, Story Professor of Law; and Oliver M. W. Sprague '94, Edmund Cogswell Converse Professor of Banking and Finance.

The other professor is Frank W. Taussig '79, Henry Lee Higginson Professor of Economics, who has described Curley as a "blatant demagogue." The shift in sentiment is further borne out by the new results of the Faculty poll this morning. Bacon has a total of 311 votes while Curley has only 18. Thus the Faculty is supporting the Republican candidate by a vote of 18 to 1 while undergraduates voted only 7-1 in favor of him.

Those opposed to the policies of the Roosevelt administration have reached a total of 240 while those backing the new deal number 86. The Faculty is against Roosevelt three-to-one in comparison to the student's two-to-one disapproval.