CROSS COUNTRY SQUAD TAKES SEVENTH PLACE

SCHEU, CHANNING, PIER TRAIL AT NEW YORK

Harvard's harriers, after one of the most successful seasons in Crimson history, yesterday went down to defeat at Van Cortlandt Park, where they finished seventh in the National Intercollegiate Cross Country Meet. The team title was won by Michigan State, which had a total of 74 points for its second straight win.

First of the Harvard men to finish was Playfair, who took twentieth place, with Minor, Canning, and Woodland of Yale, all three of whom he had beaten in the H-Y-P meet, several places ahead of him.

Woodard took twenty-seventh place in one of the most exciting finishes of the race, when he was out sprinted by Gene Venzke in the last fifty yards of the race. The star miler had been the last of the field to start, had maintained this position throughout the entire first half of the race, and then had started moving up, apparently overconfident of his ability to turn in a fast performance during the second time around the park.

Scheu took forty-first for the Crimson, with Channing a few yards behind in forty-sixth place, trailed by Pier, fifth member of Harvard's scoring quintet.

Maine, with four runners among the first 17, saw her championship hopes shattered when Saunders took fifty-first place for a total of 93 points.

Veysey of Colby took second place in the meet, while the only other entry from the college came in forty-ninth. Third came Gardner of Michigan State, the only Michigan runner except Otty to finish among the first twenty.