COMMITTEE LOOKS AT BUILDINGS FOR COMMUTERS' USE

House Masters Favor Establishment For Non-Residents, Asserting Union With Residents Impossible

Further steps were taken yesterday by the Phillips Brooks Investigation Committee to find suitable headquarters for the commuters, when a committee was delegated to make a survey of available buildings near the Square and to investigate the probable costs of renovating these.

A choice seems indicated between the old K. E. X. Club located at 78 Mt. Auburn Street and the wooden frame building at 68 Mt. Auburn Street, both of which are University property. The K. E. X. Club-house has been in disuse for three years, since the inauguration of the House plan, while the other has been vacant for nearly a decade.

Tomorrow's survey will be directed to measuring the space within the buildings and determining the adaptability of these buildings for commuter purposes. Preliminary investigations have indicated that either building offers more space than is now available at Phillips Brooks House for the commuter.

If one of the houses is chosen and the cost of maintenance is not prohibitive, permanent headquarters will be established there, with a dining-hall, study facilities, and rooms for recreation. A method of financing the project has not yet been decided, but the questionnaire being sent out at the end of this week is expected to answer the problem of how much the commuters are willing to contribute.

An innovation in the meal plan is being considered, the new system to include occasional dinners for groups of commuters which may form organizations within the club-house.

Meanwhile several House Masters have expressed approval of the new plan, asserting that it would be very unsatisfactory for the commuters to unite with the Houses.