WATER STILL GUSHING OVER FLOOR OF STRAUS

CITY DEPARTMENT DOES WORK ON EXCAVATIONS

A new artesian well has been discovered in the basement of Straus Hall. Since Friday, water has been gushing in through holes under the South entry and pumps have struggled hard to remove it as fast as it enters. At first there was some disruption of the water system in the entry, but that was speedily remedied. Yet, despite this happy situation, the College authorities yesterday called in the assistance of the Cambridge Water Department to help uncover the still unknown source of the gusher.

"Nobody knows," answered Colonel Charles R. Apted, Superintendent of Care-Takers, when asked where the water is coming from. "It may be escaping from a broken, or discarded main; it may be the overflow from one of the numerous springs in this vicinity; or it may be simply underground water draining down to the Charles. But we expect shortly to get to the truth of the matter."

As for the City Water Department, their entry into the fray comes as a distinct surprise. New excavations recently appeared on Quincy Street above the Union, so that everyone thought the Department was going to concentrate on digging up that boulevard, which was recently successfully repave through the efforts of the same outfit. But early yesterday morning, they sneaked around to the other side of the Yard, where seen two nice, six-foot deep holes appeared in the sidewalk behind Straus Hall