Professional Diver, 40 Men, and 12 Spectators Appear on Charles River Near Dunster House

Cambridge Sewer Dep't Gets Ready To Lay Pipe 30 Feet Into Charles to Drain Water

With the appearance of a professional diver, 40 men, a dozen spectators, a rowboat, and a pneumatic hammer or air-compressor on Memorial Drive below Dunster House yesterday afternoon, the suspicion dawned, especially on the minds of Dunstermen, that the Strauss Hall feed had assumed new proportions. Such was not the case, however, for although water is the subject out into the river, in order to speed the drainage of storm and surface the drainage of storm and surface water from the vicinity.

By far the most spectacular part of this extensive project is the work on the rive. This has caused the presence of the diver, the spectators, and half of the men, with their paraphernalia. For they are busy building a coffer dam out in the river, which is hold the water off men working on the shore.

For the present, the men take turns with the hammer. The hammer drives planks, which form the walls of the dam, deep into the stream bed. The driver sees that the planks maintain their position under water, and the rowboat serves the diver and all others who fall into the river.

The work on Flagg Street is not quite as unusual; its principle phase deals with the excavating of a trench down the street and across Memorial Drive. The whole project, according to Thomas P. O'Neill, Cambridge Superintendent of Sewers, should be completed by February 1.

As for the actual excavating of Memorial Drive, there is a chance that the City Water Department may play a part, if any of the pipes start leaking.

The Department has now proved to its satisfaction that the Straus Hall flood is not escaping from city mains and has abandoned its holes opposite the University Theater to take up an old stand on Quincy Street. When it has finished these diggings, the Department may go over to the other side of the Union and attack the new concrete road on Harvard Street, under which new leaks are making their appearance.