ALL WORK AND NO PLAY . . .

Focussing attention on the sorry plight of the men who are forced to work part-time during their Freshman year, the current student waiter petition deserves serious consideration by the University. The plan justly urges that the man who attempts to combine outside work with compulsory exercise is unable to spend the requisite time in pursuing his regular studies and suffers from physical exhaustion.

Under the present system, every Freshman, who is physically able, is compelled to exercise at least three times a week. Indeed, no consideration what soover is given to the man whose financial straits force him to do physical work either in the Union or in some office or store. If he complies, with the existing regulation, sheer exhaustion inhibits effective study, and excessive physical strain undermines his general health. On the other hand, if he fails to exercise regularly, he is automatically put on probation at the end of his Sophomore year. Wearied by the combination of physical work and athletic activity, he is in no position to enjoy the intellectual and social advantages offered by the University.

In acting on the student waiter petition, the administration should take into consideration all Freshmen who are compelled to work during the academic year. Careful investigation should be made of individual cases, and all men working over ten hours a week should be excused from compulsory exercise.