Translation of "Deutsche Allgemeine Zeitung" Story Gives Cables Sent by Mellon and Magoun

The following is a translation of an article appearing in the Berlin paper for October 11, 1934.

As we are informed, a member of the faculty of the American Harvard University has also joined now the protest of the students against the rejection of a scholarship offered by Dr. Hanfstaengl for a student.

Dr. Hanfstaengl has received the following telegram from Dr. Francis P. Magoun, Professor of Comparative Literature at Harvard University: "The Harvard Alumni are ashamed on account of the action of the University Corporation." Another American scholar, Professor Matthew T. Mellon, has likewise informed Dr. Hanfstaengl by telegram, that he himself has offered President Conant of Harvard University $1000 for a scholarship, with the condition that the money should be used according to the intention of Dr. Hanfstaengl. "As an American citizen I should like to place my service at your disposal, so that your good intentions will be acknowledged in America," he added in his communication.

The Hanfstaengl scholarship, which was to make possible a year of study at the University of Munich for a Harvard student, was rejected, it was reported, on the grounds that Hanfstaengl was closely connected with a government that had destroyed in Germany fundamental principles of universities. That these grounds do not correspond to the view of the Harvard Faculty one could conclude as a matter of course simply from the fact that the present Dean of Harvard's renowned Law Faculty, Roscoe Pound, accepted two months ago an honorary doctorate from the University of Berlin. Besides, it should be recalled that last July, on the 220th anniversary of the death of the composer Gluck, the Music Faculty at Harvard accepted, in regular session, a bust of Gluck from Dr. Hanfstaengl.