MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR DEAN BRIGGS TO BE HELD TODAY

Munn to Read Poem Written by Hillyer Especially for the Occasion--Briggs Would Have Been 79 Today

Today, on the seventy-ninth anniversary of his birth, Harvard will hold a commemorative service in the Memorial Church for the late Dean LeBaron Russell Briggs '75, who died last April.

Brief addresses will be given by Frank W. Taussig '79, Henry Lee Professor of Economics, and by George Lyman Kittredge '82, Gurney Professor of English Literature, and senior member of the Department of English.

James B. Munn '12, professor of English, and chairman of the Department of English, will read a poem written especially for the occasion by Robert S. Hillyer '17, associate professor of English, and winner of the Pulitzer Prize for poetry last year.

Dean Briggs, nationally known as one of the greatest figures of the century in college education, and widely loved by the many generations of Harvard men who graduated during his long regime as dean of the College and later of the faculty, was, next to President Eliot, largely responsible for the great growth of Harvard during the years since 1880.

After graduating from Harvard, in 1875, Dean Briggs took a position as tutor in Greek. By 1890 he had changed his field, however, and become a full professor of English, and a year later, dean of the College. In 1902 he left this position to take over that of dean of the faculty of Arts and Sciences, becoming at the same time president of Radcliffe College, where he continued until his resignation in 1925.