THOMAS SEES FASCIST TENDENCIES AT WORK

Former Socialist Candidate Charges NRA Failure Because of Increase in Unemployment

Charging that fascism may be the result of present day nationalism, demagoguery, and labor reaction such as that practiced in the strikes of the Pacific Coast, Norman Thomas addressed a meeting held in the New Lecture Hall yesterday under the auspices of the Liberal Club.

"When Fascism comes to the United States," said Mr. Thomas, "It will be marked 'made in America.'" He said that an increased awareness among farmers and labor organizations that something must be done may result in a Farmer-Labor movement, although such a party cannot arise yet.

"We can move left under capitalism and reach not socialism but fascism," said Mr. Thomas. "Forces are at present acting to destroy capitalism, but this does not mean the inevitability of socialism."

As regards the NRA, Mr. Thomas called it a failure, stating that more were out of work in October, 1934 than in the preceding year. He declared that the logic of events would cause us to believe in government regulations of unions.

Mr. Thomas closed his speech with an urgent appeal to students to oppose immediate wars and fascist movements with the ultimate end of encouraging the advent of the cooperative state.