A HAPPY LEAGUE

The long-awaited "formula" has finally appeared in the quarrel between Yugo Slavia and Hungary. The latter nation, it seems, is to take action against the band of international terrorists within her borders yet she does not admit the existence of any such band. In this way all parties are satisfied, both of the involved governments are strengthened at home and peace reigns.

Friends of the League of Nations are as well pleased as anyone. They exult that agreement has been reached in a major international crisis through the intervention of the Council at Geneva. This argument will doubtless be accepted in the foreign offices and will add immeasurably to the weakened prestige of that body. Nevertheless, it should be remembered that formulas and agreements in principle are as old as modern diplomacy. Throughout the nineteenth century crises of just this sort were smoothed over by just this sort of nobly ambiguous declaration. A common meeting ground for the plentipotentiaries in League headquarters is a valuable physical asset. Nevertheless, there remains doubt as to whether a radically new method of procedure has been introduced.

The most necessary element for the prevention of war still remains the desire for peace. This was the most striking aspect of the present situation. None of the great powers wished to fight. For this reason they restrained their respective allies. This fact indicates no influx of evangelism into European affairs; the nations simply find war inconvenient at the present moment. Therefore the League has won a great victory. When the zest for battle is again keen, however, there is no need to doubt that a suitable pretext will be found, despite the Pax Helvitiorem.