BRING CHEER TO DINGY DEPTHS

Languishing in the dingy depths of Stillman infirmary, ailing students yearn for some recreation to relieve the tedium of long days in bed, but when they turn to the library which is provided for them they find only a few dog-eared detective stories and stuffy novels. Compared to the impressive collections of books at college infirmaries like that of Dartmouth, the facilities offered Harvard men appear meager indeed.

If no munificent alumnus arises to supply the funds necessary to the maintenance of an adequate library for the various wards, then at least some of the numerous books which the college library aella each year might be delivered to the infirmary. For the most part these volumes are duplicate copies, and of no great value, but a few interesting biographies, histories, and novels might be culled from among them and dedicated to the better cheer of sufferers in Stillman. In the past certain tutors and instructors have set a fine example by giving in the same cause books which they were about to discard. If undergraduates and others would follow that plan, in time a respectable library might be built up.

Any such assistance to those who are temporarily marooned in this island of pills, drafts, and officious femininity would be welcome. It is a sorry reflection upon a great university that a group of its members is forced to read nothing better than Mr. Hearst's magazines and Popeye the Sailorman.