BACK TO THE BOYS

Last spring the H.A.A. announced that the concessions at Soldiers Field during the football season had been given over into the hands of professional caterers whose renown was sung throughout the Middle West as purveyors of the better brand of hot dogs.

It was stated at that time that the new concessionaires would not cut down on the number of students employed on these stands and that, as a matter of fact, the new system would be mutually more profitable to the H.A.A. and the undergraduates who desired to earn money on Saturday afternoons rather than watch an entire football game. Such mutual benefit has most certainly not been the case.

In the first place, the position of graduate manager was abolished. Even admitting that under the old regime, improvements in the booths were impossible, yet it would seem that consideration might be given to students with the initiative to conduct concessions. With the cooperation of the H.A.A. improvements could have been made at a cost not prohibitive.

In the second place, the new management reduced the salaries of the students working on the concessions and increased the working hours. Only when a strenuous protest was made, were salaries raised to a reasonable figure. Students were made to account for each cent taken in, with a dock in pay as the penalty. Under the old system a deduction from profits was the penalty.

Student workers were not allowed to watch even a part of the game, but all were forced to remain at their stations even when trade was at its lightest. In some cases, it was reported that professionals were imported to take the place of students, thereby violating the pledge of the company, when it was given the contract.

The general dissatisfaction with the situation which existed this fall should prompt the H.A.A. to give the concessions back to the students, under whose guidance it was handled satisfactorily.