English Still Most Popular Field of Concentration Being Chosen by 361

Statistics Show Definite Trend of Undergraduate Interest Toward Anthropology, Biology, Engineering Sciences, Government, History, Physics, and Sociology

A definite trend of Harvard undergraduate interest toward Anthropology, Biology, Chemistry, Engineering Sciences, Government, History, Physics, and Sociology, is indicated by statistics on the number and percentage of concentrates in each field of study, issued today by the Committee on the Choice of Electives.

The figures cover the five years, 1930-1934, and involve the number of Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors enrolled, in the fall of each year, in the College's twenty-five fields of concentration.

English Most Popular

Despite a slight drop in percentage enrollment since last fall, English remains, as last year, the most popular field of concentration in the college, being selected by 361 upperclassmen, or 14.2% of the upper class enrollment. Next, in order, come History, with 11.1%; Economics, with 11.0%; Government, with 8.7%; Biochemical Sciences, with 8.0%; and Romance Languages, with 5.8%.

From 1930 through 1932, Economics was the most popular field, with English, and History second and third respectively. Last fall, English was the most popular field, with Economics second, and History third.

Advances in Enrollment

The largest advance since last fall in the percentage of upperclassmen enrolled in each field of concentration has been made by the department of Chemistry, which jumped from 3.7% in 1933 to 5% this year. Increases were also registered in other fields as follows: History, 10% to 11.1%; Government, 7.8% to 8.7%; Biology, 3.7% to 4.4%; Engineering Sciences, 3.2% to 3.8%; Psychology, 2% to 2.3%; Literature, 8% to 1%; Sociology, 2.7% to 2.9%; and Physics, 2.1% to 2.2%.

More Upperclassmen

Last fall there were 2465 upperclassmen. This fall, there are 2544. Since 1930, when 2334 upperclassmen were registered, the largest advance in the percentage of upperclassmen enrolled has been made by the department of Government, which has mounted from 5.5% in 1930 to 8.7% this year, representing an increase in actual numbers enrolled, from 129 in 1930 to 220 this fall.

Other departments with increases in the percentage of upperclassmen enrolled since 1930 are: Engineering Sciences, 1.4% in 1930 to 3.8% in 1934; Sociology, 1.2% to 2.9%; Biochemical Sciences, 6.4% to 8.%; Chemistry, 3.7% to 5%; Anthropology, .5% to 1.7%; Biology, 2.3% to 4.4% Smaller percentage gains were registered in the following departments: Astronomy, English, Literature, Physics, Psychology, History, and Music.

Anthropology More Popular

Since 1930, enrollment in the Department of Anthropology has practically quadrupled, increasing from 12, in the fall, 1930, to 44 this year. Departments in which the enrollment has been tripled, or almost tripled, are: Astronomy, rising from 3 concentrators in 1930 to 10 this year; Engineering Sciences, from 33 to 97; Sociology, from 29 to 74. Enrollment in the Department of Biology has more than doubled, showing an increase from 53 in 1930 to 113 this year.

The increase in the number of concentrators in Engineering Sciences, which has continued over a period of five years is due largely to the transfer of undergraduates from the Engineering School to Harvard as a step in the director of making the Engineering School a strictly graduate school.

Drop in Enrollment

A drop since last fall in the percentage of upperclassmen enrolled occurred in the following departments. Economics, 12.5% in 1933 to 11% this fall; Romance Languages, 7.1% to 5.8%; Mathematics 4.3% to 3.7%; English, 14.6% to 14.2%; Classics, 1.4% to 1.%; Fine Arts, 2.9% to 2.7%; Biochemical Sciences 8.1% to 8.%

Since 1930, a few departments have shown decreases in the percentage of upperclassmen enrolled, as follows: Economics, 17% in 1930, to 11% this fall: Romance Languages, 9.4% to 5.8%; Fine Arts, 4.7% to 2.7%; Classics, 2.1% to 1%; German, 1.7%; Philosophy, 1.6% to 1.2%; Mathematics, 3.9% to 3.7%