Social Aspects of Yale Education Held of Prime Importance in Analysis Made by News Chairman

Typical Yale Man Is A Conformist With Superficial Knowledge of Cultural Attainment

The following analysis of Yale was written by Lyman Spitzer, Jr., Yale '35, chairman of the Yale Daily News. It is reprinted from The Phillipian.

Yale is at present in a state of such rapid transition that the attempt to discuss its characteristics is, to a certain extent, futile. As the College Plan was inaugurated only this fall, its effects are still clothed in darkness. Whatever may be the outcome of this important social and educational experiment, the Yale of the future will probably by a vastly different place from the Alma Mater the last few classes here have known. Yet for those who must make an immediate decision, a study of the university in a few of its more significant aspects may possibly be of some use.

Theoretically a college should be judged from three standpoints, aesthetic, intellectual; and social. As to the first, the actual equipment at Yale for those interested in music, the arts, and cultural subjects, ranks high. But as for stimulating a permanent interest in these things, Yale, in common with most higher institutions, does, on the whole, a poor job. The same is true to a lesser extent of intellectual interests. Here again the equipment is excellent, but what one learns has, in general, little relation to one's permanent interests and is usually soon forgotten. The new reading periods, it should be noted, offer possibilities of definite contributions along these lines. The engineering schools have no bearing on this argument; for those who want a strictly practical training, they are to be recommended.

Society Most Important

Although these conditions are changing, although it is no longer a mark of deplorable effeminacy to show an interest in Bach, Cezanne, or Jeans, yet it is still true, I think, that it is from the social side that a Yale education is of prime importance to most undergraduates. It is on this, therefore, that Yale must be judged.

The social system, taking the term in its widest sense, is frankly extra-curricular in its emphasis. The important thing to do is to heel some organization, to make yourself known, to make a fraternity and possibly, if that summit of campus ambition can be attained, a Senior Society. One is careful, particularly during his first two years, to speak only to the right people, and to avoid those of less prominent rank. Andover men, outnumbering those from any other school, place particular importance on this sort of thing and usually excel at it.

No Time To Study

This system is frequently opposed on the grounds that it sets up false standards of accomplishments and should not form an integral part of university training. All this is largely true. The competitions at Yale do, however, provide a certain experience that may prove useful in business. For those who under the present set-up can get nothing more from college, even such business education will be some achievement. The most serious objection to the extra-curricular frenzy of New Haven is that men get themselves so involved in a hundred and one different things that if and when they do conceive an interest in the more intellectual aspects of education they have no time to follow their new inclinations.

Perhaps a good way to illustrate these points is by summing up the essential features of the average Yale graduate. The Yale man is a sociable person, willing to "drink one up with the boys:" he is a conformist, with a superficial knowledge of cultural attainments, but with no real interest in them. His ideal of success can be expressed directly by his salary and by the number of committees of which he is a member. These are, of course, generalizations honored almost as much in the breach as in the observance, but as far as possible they do, I believe, demonstrate the effect of the typical Yale education.