WAITERS' HOURS MOVED AHEAD BY UNION CHANGE

SUGGESTION BY WAITERS BRINGS ABOUT ADVANCE

In response to a suggestion by several of the student waiters, the Union has advanced the time when the waiters are required to begin work in the morning from 7.45 o'clock to 8 o'clock.

The action was taken after two of the waiters had brought their suggestions to William II. Heaman, manager of the Union and goes into effect immediately. The waiters had drawn up a petition and were attempting to secure the signatures of both shifts, when they were anticipated by the move of the Union authorities. In the petition, the waiters suggested not only the advance of the hours for work on week-day mornings, but also the adoption of a rule whereby only half of a shift would work each Sunday morning in which case the student would only work one Sunday morning in four.

This change in the hour of work in the morning is the second advance since the establishment of student waiters in the Union when the Freshmen were moved into the Yard in the fall of 1931. The original hour for work was 7.15 o'clock, but this was changed in the fall of 1932 so that the waiters should not have to be at their stations until 7.45 o'clock and this rule has prevailed since. The Union feels that it is at present unable to grant the request for the change in regard to Sundays because that is the only time available for the polishing of silver and the waiters are forced to man the dining hall alone.

For the present the rules for Sunday will continue to hold but the authorities will investigate the possibility of adopting the suggestion of the waiters.