LOWELL LECTURER SAYS DEMOCRATIC CHINA IMPOSSIBLE

Once Thought Pessimistic Because of Theories--Old Ideas Still True in Modern China Today

John O. P. Bland, author and journalist, returned to the Lowell Institute on Friday to give a second series of lectures on "China Since the Revolution." The series will continue for the next seven weeks on Friday evenings.

In 1912, when Mr. Bland had just returned from a 28 years residence in China, he stated the opinion that China would not become a republican people because of internal conditions in China. At that time the general opinion was that Mr. Bland was a pessimist in his views towards China and he was not taken too seriously.

Now, 21 years later, Mr. Bland returns to the Lowell Institute with the same opinions that he held formerly. His knowledge of the fact of the case cannot be denied, as he has resided in China for many years since then and has an intimate knowledge of the situation.

Mr. Bland states that there are three main sociological reasons for the backwardness of China in democratic unity: "The ills that flesh is heir to in China, the chronic destitution, disease, and discontent are directly due to the social system and religious beliefs which make procreative recklessness a duty; the only thing which can undermine this social system is a strong central government; thus a democracy is an impossibility and would lead only to rampant dissension and partition."