"United Police System, Controlled by Central Committee, Most Efficient," States Needham

Municipal Funds Do Not Furnish Enough Money to Train Men Properly For Service

"A united police force in Massachusetts, controlled by a central state committee, will lead to a law-enforcing unit, which is efficient and not controlled by local politics," said General Daniel Needham '13, Massachusetts Commissioner of Public Safety, in discussing the bill which is being sent to the Legislature this week by Governor Joseph B. Ely and provides for an amalgamation of all the municipal police forces throughout the state. This bill is supported by President Lowell, Gasper G. Bacon '08, Lieutenant-Governor of Massachusetts and Sam B. Warner '12, professor of Penal Legislation and administration.

"Crime has been more rampant since roped because former bootleggers have been forced to turn from the liquor trade which was comparatively harmless to the peace of the country, to robbery, holdups, and murder. Gunmen have no longer the occupation of promoting their employers' trade from them gangs and thus have been turned from in society. As time goes on they will to come more and more dangerous as their supplies of ready cash dwindle away.

"The principal difficulty at present is that the municipalities will not grant sufficient funds for the organization of effectively trained, equipped, and organized law-enforcing departments. The state must step in and supply an organizing unit, training schools for police officers, and sufficient funds. The only way that it can be forced to do this is by having the people of the state demand action.

"In the Millen case, which is now in the process of being completed, we could have been aided materially by better cooperation from the municipal forces. The state police are, of course, all interconnected by radio and teletype and this system should be extended to include every town in the state. An example of the efficiency of such an arrangement is given by the organization which exists between the state police forces of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts; these five states are all connected by teletypewriters and cooperate whenever possible. Thus in the Millen case, after it had been found out that the fugitives were in the vicinity of New York, an arrest was easily made."